How to file an RTI application?
The Right To Information Act, empowers filing of an RTI application, to attain information so as to secure a corrupt-free, transparent and accountable working of a government body. Due to which, the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions took the initiative, so as to set up a portal for citizens requiring prompt information.
Every public authority has to maintain computerized versions of all records, thus making it accessible over a network anywhere, anytime in the country. The requested information, made easily available to the applicant (citizen)
The RTI Act mandates timely responses to any citizen asking for information.
How to file an RTI application –
- RTI Applicatiion Online Portal –
- Via Post – Send your application to the concerned department via registered post or speed post.
- In Person- Visit Public Information Officer of the concerned department to file the RTI.
Procedure for filing an RTI application –
- Identify the department to seek the required information. Certain subjects fall within the ambit of State or Central government. Some other subjects fall within the ambit of local authorities like municipal administration/ panchayat.
- Write or type the RTI application either in English, Hindi or the official language of that State area.
- Address the application to the State/Central Public Information Officer. Write the name of the office from where information is required. Clearly mention “Seeking information under RTI Act”
- In addition, pay a fee of Rs.10 to file the plea.
- The law mandates that information should be provided within 30 days. If this information is not provided, one can file an appeal to the appellate authority with the name of the department and the address. The appellate authority mandates a revert within 30 days from the date of the receipt of the appeal.
- Therefore, maintain photocopies of application and responses for future reference.
The RTI Act, takes a notable step to ensures the citizens right of information. As a result of which citizens are not mislead or frauded. Moreover, the Act serves as a great tool for enhancing participatory democracy among citizens
The RTI application is a simple and sturdy process that every citizen should utilize in totality. Therefore, the citizens should take advantage of the Act, to invoke a corrupt-free govt.