TRAI AND CONSUMER COMPLAINTS
The Telecom sector is one of the fastest growing sectors in India. The telecom sector has immensely contributed in connecting the Indian on a digital platform – from the ”just a phone call away” to ”anytime online transactions” facilitating the promotion of trade and commerce. The overall tele-density today is around 20 percent. Still there are millions of ears in India waiting to hear the ring tone.
In India, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) is the regulatory body which lays down the Standards of Quality of Service regulations for protecting the interests of consumers.
Frequently Occurring Problems are: –
The tremendous expansion of this sector also increased the number of complaints from consumers. Following are the frequent occurring problems faced by consumers:
• Activation of VAS (Value Added Service) without consent of subscriber
• Inflated Bills/Overcharging/ Unfair deductions
• Disconnection without notice/intimation
• Call drops/network problems
• Non Refund of security deposits
• Delay in activation of desired facilities/Services
NCH has been taking up various issues of consumers to the Telecom companies as well as TRAI. Some of the steps taken by NCH are:
1. Visit of TRAI officials to NCH to explain the regulations and directions issued by TRAI
2. Compilation of Complaints received for VAS and forwarded to TRAI for necessary action
3. Follow up with the companies in respect of complaints received at NCH, under Convergence system.
TRAI is proactively and constantly working towards redressal of consumer complaints and growth of telecom Industry. TRAI issues from time to time regulations, directions, orders or guidelines, to achieve their objectives. Recently TRAI issued a new set of guidelines made portability from one service provider to another, easier for consumers without changing their mobile number. Mobile Number Portability (MNP) Allows subscriber to opt for service provider of his choice but retain his mobile number. The number gets ported to the new provider.
NCH has invited various telecom companies to be part of a robust consumer grievance mechanism under Convergence system.
1. Bharti Airtel Ltd
2. Tata Teleservices Ltd
3. Idea Celluar Limited
4. MTNL – Delhi &
6. Reliance telecom
7. Aircel Limited
Grievance Redressal System:
TRAI has notified a grievance redressal mechanism for the all the service providers under Telecom Consumer Protection and Redressal of Grievance 2007.
The regulation mandates establishments of Grievance Mechanism for resolution of consumers’ complaints within the company as level of Call Centre, and Appellate Authority.